Lifelong learning institutes are community-based organizations of people age 50+ who are interested in continuing their educations while working or beyond retirement. Lifelong learning institutes provide non-credit, academic programs that are structured using regular semesters and coursework without the homework or examinations. Membership typically is open to all enthusiastic learners 50 and up, regardless of previous education.
The Mahoning Valley Lifelong Learning Institute was created by Ohio Living Park Vista, a leader in aging services in the Mahoning Valley since 1947. Located on the Ohio Living Park Vista campus, this Institute is designed to be the premier entity of its kind in Northeast Ohio. A network of partners representing the foremost cultural, historical, and educational organizations in the Valley adds a unique dimension to the extensive and rich institute curriculum.
The Institute offers the following:
- More than 20 professionally-taught courses of collegiate-level quality.
- Speakers who are known throughout the region, state, and nation.
- Two formal semesters of courses per year.
- An advisory board and a director to guide the Institute.
- A curriculum committee to oversee academic programming.
- Partnerships with the foremost institutions in Youngstown such as the YSU Metro College, Mahoning Valley Historical Society, and the Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County.
- Endowments to fund programming long into the future.
- An accessible and welcoming location.
- Low membership and participation fees with many courses offered for free.
A Vision for the Valley
As the leader in aging services in the Mahoning Valley since 1947, it is Ohio Living Park Vista’s responsibility — and its privilege — to reach outside of its walls with opportunities to enrich the lives of individuals throughout the Valley.
Our location, in the backyard of Youngstown State University and near an area teeming with arts, cultural and historical venues, makes it logical for Ohio Living Park Vista to bring together these resources that challenge the minds and interests of people 50 and up to enrich their lives through learning.
When developing the Mahoning Valley Lifelong Learning Institute, Ohio Living Park Vista took its lead from others such as the Chautauqua Institute and the university-based Osher Institutes, both national leaders in lifelong learning.
The Mahoning Valley Lifelong Learning Institute is designed to be the premier entity of its kind in Northeast Ohio, with a network of partners representing the foremost cultural, historical, and educational organizations in the Valley.